A proper fit is an integral factor in deciding which Birks you should purchase. As much as you consider style and design, nothing can beat properly fitted Birks that you can wear anytime and anywhere. The good news is that you can make them fit better!
You can make your Birks fit better by making sure that the size correctly fits your foot measurements, identifying if you have a regular or narrow fit, and buckling the straps according to the size of your feet. Additionally, you should immediately fit them on before purchasing, try to walk on them to test the fit, and wear them more often to break in fast.
Want to know more about these tips? Get ready because, after reading this article, you will finally get answers to your questions!
Birkenstock Length Sizing
You have to be precise when it comes to choosing the perfect size of Birks for your feet. One of the most important decisions you should make is identifying the length of your feet from your heels until your toes. This is very crucial as it can dictate the comfort and support that your Birks can provide you with.
To correctly measure your foot length, just follow these steps:
- Step 1: Measure your foot with a measuring tape while standing with your heel against a wall. Make sure that your foot is laying flat on the ground to assure that you will get the maximum length. Stand straight, too, so that the length to be measured is at your most comfortable position.
- Step 2: Before your longest toe, identify the measured foot length in millimeters. Keep in mind that you must add extra millimeters before your longest toe as these will serve as the space where your toes can move. Having the size of your Birks similar to the exact measurement of your feet can be too restraining.
- Step 3: When choosing between two sizes, go up one size because feet can expand when carrying more weight. Remember that your feet need space to move around. Choosing a size larger is always the right choice.
Take note that the sizing of Birks is in European sizes. To give you an accurate size conversion, make sure to look at the size conversion chart issued by Birkenstocks. This will help you to identify the equivalent size to the U.S. ones.
Birkenstock Width Sizing
As much as foot length is very important in identifying the perfect fit of Birks, you should never neglect to measure the width as well. Measuring foot width should focus on the widest part of your feet which is the balls. You can measure them using a measuring tape to be sure.
You have to leave enough room for them to move around. If the width fit is too loose, your feet will tend to slide forward as there is no right grip whenever you are walking. On the other hand, if it is too tight, the balls of your feet can be constrained because of the pain it causes. Worse, this may lead to further foot problems, like foot misalignment.
Because of this, Birkenstock offers its dear customers two width sizes of its footwear. If you think you have normal foot width, the brand has a regular version of its footwear. This is for people who have a relatively usual foot size. Normally, they do not encounter problems when choosing the right size for their foot width.
If you feel that your foot width is a bit slender, Birkenstock made sure to create a version of their footwear in a narrow size. It has a narrower footbed compared to the standard one. Usually, it is very difficult for people with this foot width to find the perfect footwear for them. Good thing that Birkenstock is inclusive enough to cater to everyone’s needs.
How will I know if I should go for either a regular or narrow fit?
Knowing the right size of Birks for you is not an easy task. You must both consider your foot length and width. Although Birkenstock has presented you with two options, you might be asking how to identify which of the two you have. Follow these steps:
- Step 1: To know the length of your feet, measure your foot with a measuring tape while standing with your heel against a wall. Do this in millimeters. Make sure that your stance is comfortable enough to be able to get the right foot length.
- Step 2: To give your feet some space to move, add 10mm to the measurement of your foot length. Remember that exactly making your Birk size similar to your foot length might result in too restraining fit.
- Step 3: To get the foot width, measure the widest point of your feet with a measuring tape while standing with your heel against a wall. You can adjust the sizing to your liking. The tip, though, is to add only a few millimeters to avoid oversizing.
Once you get your foot measurements right, look at the size guide, and identify which of the two fits you have. Use this to know what size of Birks you should purchase.
Why are Birkenstocks uncomfortable at first?
First of all, it is just normal to feel uncomfortable while wearing your Birks for the first few times. In this phase, your feet are still in the process of adjusting to the fit and grip of your Birks. Additionally, the intricate mold of the Birk footbed may not immediately fit the contours of your feet.
You might think that the discomfort you are experiencing is a sign of poor-quality or worn-out Birks even if you just purchased them. Fret not because it will take you some time to break in your Birks.
As time passes by, you will notice that the footbed of your Birks is softening and slowly allowing your feet to get comfortable. So do not get discouraged if your feet feel stiff at first!
How long does it take to break in Birkenstock?
Breaking in your Birks can take 2–3 weeks. This might take some time, but you have to be patient. You might get discouraged to wear them at first because of the discomfort and stiffness, but trust the adjustment phase of your feet. Remember that the key secret to breaking in your Birks is to wear them more often.
A good rule of thumb is to not wear your newly purchased Birks on big occasions or those requiring you to walk long distances. They may inflict pain on your feet that, in turn, may ruin your night.
You can wear them first at home from time to time. If you are starting to feel discomfort, you can remove them immediately. Then, after a while, you can put them back on to practice your feet. Do this several times. In no time, you will get the hang of it.
Ways to Make Your Birkenstocks Fit Better
Even though you get past the breaking-in process, having a better fit does not come that easy. Even though you have been wearing your Birks for quite some time, you might not be aware that there are still several ways to make them fit better. Here are some of those:
- Get the measurements of your feet correctly. Your right foot length and width are very crucial in identifying which Birk size is perfect for your feet. You can do this by standing straight with your heel against a wall. Measure both the length and width using a measuring tape.
- Identify if your feet have a narrow or regular fit. Birkenstock is kind enough to offer its customers two options of fit, aside from the wide range of sizes it has. If you have a standard size of feet, the regular fit is for you. But if they are slender, go for a narrow fit. Just look for the logo on the footbed to tell the difference.
- Even though you got all of the measurements right, once received, immediately fit them on. To do this, unbuckle all of the straps, and place your feet on them. Remember that the right footwear fit still gives your feet room to move around.
- Buckle the straps of your Birks according to the size of your feet. Not all of us have the same likings when it comes to the fit and grip of the straps. However you want them to be, just make sure that they are neither too tight nor too loose.
- Try walking while having your Birks on to test if they fit your feet well. Wearing them immediately on important occasions is not advisable. To do this correctly, walk around your house. Just do not get shocked if they feel uncomfortable and stiff at first.
- Once you get the hang of walking on them, wear them more often to break in your Birks fast. Breaking in might take 2–3 weeks to be completed. You just have to be patient and wait for your feet to adjust to your Birks.
Benefits of Having Properly Fitted Birkenstocks
Having Birks that properly fit you does not only benefit your feet but also your entire body. As they carry your weight when walking, if your feet are comfortably good, rest assured that you can get all of these benefits:
- Properly fitted Birks provide your feet with comfort. Take note that your feet are responsible for carrying your weight. They should receive adequate comfort so that they can move with ease and unrestrained. In particular, Birkenstock’s footbed can give you this.
- The right fit and grip of Birks are already enough support for your feet. If your Birks are neither too loose nor too tight, this can support your feet even amid walking long distances. Also, all of the shocks and pressure from walking are made less severe by the cushioning effect of Birk’s footbed.
- Walking with properly fitted Birks on can better warm up your foot muscles and ligaments. The intricate mold of Birk footbeds conditions your feet to walk as you can feel no restraint while having them on.
- Properly fitted Birks can tone your legs that support your feet while walking. Unrestrained feet are important to condition your legs. Remember that toned legs are helpful to have balance and stable footsteps while you are walking.
- You can develop a good stance or posture if you wear properly fitted Birks. Well-conditioned feet are one of the secrets to having a good stance or posture. They are the foundation of stability and balance, causing your posture to straighten up.
- Wearing properly fitted Birks can prevent you from getting injured. The support and comfort that Birks provide are essential in maintaining healthy and well-functioning feet. If they have adequate fit and grip, rest assured that the chances of having foot problems will be insignificant.
- You can be more confident because of being assured that your Birks will give you no problem. Walking confidently radiates immediately. In effect, you can feel much better and happier as you are confident not just because of the beauty of your Birks but also of their fit.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can my Birks shrink?
Unfortunately, yes, your Birks can shrink if they get exposed to extreme heat. Be keen because the shrinking can be an indication of a bigger problem. Oftentimes, it can be because the materials of your Birks are disintegrating, leading to some damage.
Is it normal for Birks to stretch out?
If your Birks are stretching out, it is just normal. The primary reason behind this is your frequent usage of them. As the Birks adjust to the contours of your feet, they get stretched out. Just be keen on telling the difference between a normal stretch and a damaging one.
Is it okay if my Birkenstocks are too big?
No, Birks that are too big can result in a loose fit. You would not want this because your feet might slide frequently to the frontal tip of your footwear. Additionally, improper fit and grip can leave you susceptible to getting foot injuries.
Why are Birkenstocks good for your feet?
Birks are truly good for your feet because they are made from high-quality materials that can provide you with the utmost comfort and support. The brand does not only consider style and design but also the health of your feet, durability, and flexibility.
Key Takeaways: Making Your Birkenstocks Fit Better
Undeniably, your feet deserve nothing less than properly fitted Birks. Good thing that you can make this happen!
You can do this by getting your foot measurements correct, identifying if you have a regular or narrow fit, immediately fitting them on before purchasing, properly buckling the straps, trying them to test the fit, and wearing them more often to break in fast.
And please, do not get discouraged if they feel uncomfortable at first. It is all part of the process!