UGG boots are a great choice of footwear, but they require a high degree of maintenance. Scuffs and stains will linger on your boots if not removed promptly. For an easy fix to this issue, you might be wondering if it is possible to clean UGG boots with baby shampoo.
You can clean UGG boots with baby shampoo. Baby shampoo makes for a surprisingly effective and cheap way to maintain your boots. Baby shampoo has gentle qualities compared to other cleaners. Therefore, it won’t ruin your boots.
In this article, I’ll explain why baby shampoo works as an excellent cleaner for UGG boots. I’ll also explain how to use this cleaner on your boots for the best results.
Why Does Baby Shampoo Work as a Cleaner for UGG Boots?
It’s perfectly understandable to be skeptical of baby shampoo working as a cleaner for boots. How could such a mild cleaner be effective for those tough stains that your boots accumulate?
Baby shampoo works as a cleaner for boots because it attacks stains without damaging the material. Without needing any harsh chemicals to get the job done, baby shampoo eliminates stains on your boots and leaves them free of grime.
Boots & Pine instructs UGG owners to consider using baby shampoo as their go-to cleaner. Baby shampoo gets the job done with little hassle while also cleaning the material as gently as possible.
One of the best features of baby shampoo is how a little of it can go a long way when it comes to cleaning. It just takes a tiny amount of the soap to make grime disappear.
Now, let’s dive into the process of using baby shampoo to clean your UGG boots.
Cleaning Your UGG Boots Using Baby Shampoo
Before you attempt to clean your UGG boots with baby shampoo, it’s essential to know what tools you’ll need on hand.
Best Tools for Cleaning UGG Boots
Below are the tools you will need to properly clean your UGG boots using baby shampoo:
- Brush. You’ll need the right brush to use as your cleaning tool. It’s best to have an exceptionally soft brush, to avoid potentially scratching the suede on your boots. Good Housekeeping recommends using a suede brush for this specific purpose. A suede brush will prevent accidental damage during the cleaning process.
- Toothbrush. This tool is optional. If you can’t find a suede brush, you can use a toothbrush instead. Remember that you’ll want the softest toothbrush possible to avoid scratching your boots up.
- Eraser. Another tool you’ll want is an eraser, which will help you remove certain stains. As Magic of Clothes advises, you can buy suede erasers designed for cleaning this material. Because suede can be easily damaged, your best bet is to buy a suede eraser instead of a potentially harmful alternative.
- Paper. Before you start the cleaning process, it’s essential to stuff paper into your boots. The paper will ensure that your boots retain their shape throughout the cleaning process and won’t collapse in on themselves.
- Water bowls. You’ll want two water bowls on hand: one for your soap mix and one for rinsing. Be sure to keep these two separate so that your rinsing stage will be a smooth process.
Once you have all these items on hand, you’re ready to begin the cleaning process.
How To Clean Your Ugg Boots With Baby Shampoo
Once you’re set up and have all the necessary tools on hand, you’re ready to begin cleaning. Use the following steps to most effectively clean your UGG boots:
- Use your brush to brush upwards on your boots to remove dirt. It’s imperative that you brush your boots before wetting them. Think of it like sweeping a floor before mopping it; you don’t want to compound the dirt with water, which would create a heavier mess to clean up.
- Once you’ve brushed off your boots, carefully use a damp sponge or cloth and evenly wet the surface. Avoid dousing your boots with water. Doing so could damage the suede.
- After you’ve dampened the surface of your boots, you’re ready to apply the baby shampoo. You only need a small amount of baby shampoo for this step. Mix a tiny bit of it into your water so that it’s bubbly enough, and dip your brush into the mix. You want to avoid harshly brushing your boots, to avoid accidental damage.
- Carefully apply the soap mix with your brush with gentle strokes. Watch for heavy stains and use slightly more scrubbing as needed.
- Take your time to scrub all over your boots with the soap mix, then rinse. Once you’re satisfied, grab your sponge or cloth, dip it in your water bowl, and dab away at your boots to rinse off the soap.
Drying Your UGG Boots After Cleaning Them
After you’ve ensured that the remaining suds have been removed from your boots, it’s time to let them dry.
While it might be tempting to forcibly dry them by using a clothes dryer, you want to avoid this at all costs. Your UGG boots will get damaged if put through the dryer. Instead, you’ll want to let them dry on their own.
Typically, UGG boots will take around 24 hours to dry thoroughly. While this wait can be frustrating, you mustn’t try to speed the process up by using harsh heat sources.
After 24 hours have passed, inspect your UGG boots to check for any remaining wet patches. Don’t hesitate to let your boots dry for a few more hours if necessary. In the end, a few extra hours of waiting is worth keeping the boots in the best possible condition.
Cleaning your UGG boots with baby shampoo is a clever hack that can save you time and money. The trick to using baby shampoo for cleaning your UGG boots is patience. Ensure that you have all of the necessary tools before washing them. You don’t want to be halfway through the cleaning process and realize that you’re missing an essential component.
Keep in mind that UGG boots will need at least 24 hours before they’re thoroughly dried after getting cleaned. This is normal, and the final result will be worth all of your efforts and patience.